Unoccupied House Insurance – Empty Property Insurance

Things to know about unoccupied house and empty property insurance and where to find good deals.

Unoccupied home insurance

Reasons for purchasing an unoccupied house insurance

When you buy a regular house insurance and you leave the property empty, you are covered for a limited amount of time only. This could vary with insurers, but it could be something between 1 and 2 months. If the property is vacant longer than the time permitted on your policy and anything happens to the property, it will not be covered.

If you have a home or a property which is not going to be occupied for a certain period of time, then you need to buy an unoccupied house/empty property insurance. Home insurance can be bought from specialist insurers like Home Protect.

The reason you are only covered for a limited time by your standard insurance is because a house or property is at a greater risk if left unoccupied. There is more chance of a burglary or a break-in, as it might become obvious to burglars that it is unoccupied. And, if there are other problems such as a burst pipe, there is nobody there to deal with the situation immediately.

When to consider purchasing an unoccupied house insurance

  • If the house is going to be empty for a long time for any reason.
  • You are going on a holiday for a month or longer (check your insurance policy).
  • You are a landlord and your property is in-between occupancy and it is going to take more than a few weeks (check your insurance policy).
  • If you have bought a house, but waiting to move in and it is going to take more than a few weeks.
  • If you have moved into a new house and your old house is unoccupied for any reason, such as you are still in the process of selling the property.
  • You are renovating your house and you are not presently living there.
  • If the property does not have somebody living there full time (check your insurance policy).
  • A holiday home, which you stay in certain times only.
  • You have a second home, and you live between the two places.
unoccupied Home insurance

Length of insurance cover to purchase

A house or a property can be unoccupied for a varying length of time due to many reasons. Because of this, there are flexible lengths of time for which you can purchase insurance. Many insurers will provide cover for:

  • 3 months insurance.
  • 6 months insurance.
  • 9 months insurance.
  • 12 months insurance or longer.

Individualised length of term

If you need to insure your house or a property for a particular length of time, such as a month or any specific period, then you should talk to the insurer regarding your specific needs.

What will unoccupied house insurance cover

Unoccupied house or empty property insurance will typically cover:

  • Theft or attempted theft
  • Vandalism
  • Flooding
  • Fire
  • Storm
  • Burst pipes
  • Public liability

What unoccupied house insurance might not cover

There are some things which your insurance might not cover, and there might be clauses which will invalidate any claims. For instance, you did not secure the house properly before leaving it unoccupied. It is important that you check the policy properly and see what will invalidate any claims. Don’t just take verbal answers, make sure anything relevant is written on the policy.

Unoccupied house insurance

Cost of unoccupied house – empty property insurance

The cost of insuring your unoccupied house or empty property will vary pending on a number of factors such as the value of your property, the area the property is located, and the length of insurance cover. As well as, additional factors depending on each individual property. Therefore, it is not possible to give a precise figure. You will also get different quotes from different insurers.

It is a good idea to at least get two, possibly three quotes before deciding which policy to purchase.

Which companies provide unoccupied house/empty property insurance

Here is a list of companies that provide unoccupied house/empty property insurance.

Which companies provide unoccupied property insurance

Here are companies that provide unoccupied property insurance.

Free advice on home insurance

You can get free advice on insurance, including home insurance from Money Helper, here: Money Helper, Insurance.

If you need help with your mortgage payments read our article, here: Help With Mortgage Payments.

Additional Information

If you are looking for a home insurance, read our article: Home Insurance – Compare Cheap Quotes.

Get the cheapest Unlimited Mobile Data Plan, here: Best Unlimited Data Plan – Cheap Unlimited SIM Only.

Money Advice Service
For debt management and advice on how to pay for bills go here: Money Advice Service info page.

If you are interested, check out: Best Bank Accounts for Bad Credit.

If you are interested in a loan, check out: